Essential skills as a Head of Software Development
- You will be a people person, with experience building high performing software development and QA teams. (Currently circa 9 people)
- Experience of managing and optimising fully remote internal teams / 3 parties
- Someone who has remained close to the technology ideally with some of C#. .NET Core, SQL, Angular, Node.js, Delphi etc
- Experience of building a SaaS product or working in a Software Product environment would be desirable
- Experience creating and delivering an ambitious software development strategy.
- Strong technical project & product management experience.
- A passion for developing excellent products that are reliable and providing a great customer experience.
- Demonstrable experience of implementing lean / agile efficient
- A thorough understanding of Software Development and the SDLC – including disciplines such as Agile, CI/CD and TDD.
- Excellent decision-making & problem-solving skills.
- Experience with JIRA.
- Experience of expanding services to serve service overseas territories.
Key Responsibilities for the Head of Software Development
- Building, motivating and mentoring a high performing team – identify, recruit and retain talent and excel in day-to-day people and performance management tasks.
- Ensure team structure is optimised, and resources managed, to facilitate efficient project delivery - seamlessly integrate, mentor and manage internal (remote) and external teams (contractors), continually monitoring quality and effectiveness.
- Innovation and product development – generate and facilitate ideas development, requirement gathering and user evaluation to continually develop new and exciting features and value add services.
- Use appropriate metrics to monitor, measure and improve the operational processes, team performance and business outputs
- Manage complex, concurrent projects within a fast-moving environment.
- Balance competing priorities – have a good understanding of software technical debt and ensure we've got the right balance between paying it down, delivering new projects and offering outstanding customer support.
- Create and/or refine lean processes to ensure effective, scalable and profitable workflows – identify and analyse problems and implement solutions. Ensure consistent and iterative delivery of high-impact, high-quality work.
- Ensure we keep our business objectives and customer requirements at the heart of all processes and projects.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing, identify and manage risks and address any single points of failure (SPOFs).
- Take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises - drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues and implement appropriate solutions.
This is great chance to further your career working fully remotely within the UK, for a software house / SaaS provider with ambitions to grow internationally.
This role might suite an existing Head of Level, or a Software Development or Agile Delivery Lead who has a mix of leadership, technical savvy, and who us used to wearing multiple hats as this is required.
Also someone who wants to work in an open and collaborative culture.
Opus Resourcing are a boutique IT employment Agency who are relied on by a number of world leading technology companies and brands to assist resource their contract and permanent positions.